University of Minnesota Libraries
In 1860, the University Library became the official compilation library for Minnesota government publications. Nine years later, University President Folwell founded the University Library and appointed himself to the position of librarian, a position he held until 1906. The Walter Library was inaugurated in 1924 to serve 1,200 readers and 1.5 million volumes in its main storage area. In 1940, the one millionth book was added to the collections. In 1953 St. Paul Campus Library, and the Wilson Library on the West Bank opened in 1968; A year later, Minitex was founded. Libraries launched the first online catalog in 1987, the first to transform the entire card catalogue.